Introduction

I am a South Asian immigrant, a mother, an artist, a social worker and a teacher. I am a person of few words and blogging isn't my thing. But music is. I have been practicing vocal carnatic music (a southern Indian classical art form) through my life. I am excited to document and share here some of my experiments with music.

Monday, May 6, 2013

My Musical Biography

Priya Raghav began her musical journey in Singapore, learning carnatic vocal from many established gurus, namely Smt. Shobha Sekhar, Smt. Vijaya Murthy, Smt. Leelavathy Gopalakrishnan, Sri NR Prashanth and Smt.Gowri Gokul, who are disciples of the legendary DK Pattammal, Musiri Subramania Iyer, TM Thyagarajan and Thitai Krishna Iyengar. She feels fortunate to be able to continue her training with Smt. Meera Krishna in Seattle. 

Priya has performed concerts in Seattle, Singapore and India (Chennai). She released a Carnatic album titled 'Priyam Venkatesam' through Kalavardhani's in Chennai in 2004. She has also lent her voice to a classical fusion piece for a Walt Disney production, 'The Legends of the Ring of Fire'.

Priya also enjoys learning through teaching and finds joy in cultivating the love of carnatic music amongst eager students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment